Credit for Prior Learning
Get Credit For What You Already Know
At Minnesota State, we recognize you have a wealth of skills and knowledge gained through life, work and community-based experiences. That’s why our colleges and universities offer opportunities to earn academic credit for the knowledge you already possess. We are here to help you with the assessment process.
Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) is academic credit awarded to students who successfully demonstrate college or university-level learning achieved through informal or formal learning outside of the classroom. You can have your learning evaluated for academic credit, saving you time and money towards earning your degree.
Credit for Prior Learning Assessment Network (C-PLAN) is a Minnesota State collaborative of colleges and universities developing and sharing CPL expertise and resources. C-PLAN helps students identify their CPL options.
- Workforce and community-based training resulting in certifications, licenses, or certificates of completion.
- Military training and occupational experiences.
- National examinations, including the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST) Advanced Placement (AP), or challenge exams offered by colleges resulting in college credit.
- Individual assessments in which students document and demonstrate college-level learning gained through work experiences, civic activities, community volunteerism, and other informal learning experiences.
- If you need assistance in figuring out your CPL options, complete the CPL Student Intake Form.
- A C-PLAN coordinator will review your form and get back to you about your options. This includes connecting you with a CPL advisor or faculty evaluator at a Minnesota State college or university.
For additional CPL information, select a Minnesota State college or university below:
- Anoka-Ramsey Community College
- Central Lakes College
- Century College
- Dakota County Technical College
- Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College
- Hennepin Technical College
- Inver Hills Community College
- Lake Superior College
- Minneapolis College
- Minnesota North College
- Minnesota State College Southeast
- Minnesota State Community and Technical College
- Minnesota West Community & Technical College
- Normandale Community College
- North Hennepin Community College
- Northland Community & Technical College
- Northwest Technical College
- Pine Technical & Community College
- Ridgewater College
- Riverland Community College
- Rochester Community and Technical College
- St. Cloud Technical and Community College
- Saint Paul College
- South Central College
If you are a current student, or thinking about enrolling at one of the 37 campuses, or if you serve students at a college or university in the Minnesota State system and have a question about CPL and how it works, Ask C-PLAN and we will respond within two business days. Thank you.
If you are a Minnesota State college or university interested in participating in the network, refer to additional C-PLAN Information for Campuses.